About the Event
Important Event Information
- Event Date: Sunday March 11, 2018. 2019 date TBD.
- Check-In begins: 0600 PST
- All participants must check-in off of the 4th Avenue entrance. If you take the elevators from the parking garage into the building, you will be required to exit and then queue up in the check-in line off of 4th Ave.
- All media must check-in off of 5th Avenue (main lobby level).
- All Bottle Changers and Volunteers must check-in at the Loading Dock off of Columbia St., next to the Parking Garage entrance.
- Opening Ceremonies: 0730 - 0800
- First Battalion enters stairwell at 0800
- Remaining battalions run from 0830 - approx. 1630. Climbers released into stairwell at 12-15 second intervals.
2018 Important Dates:
- Early Bird Registration: November 1., 2017, 0900 PST - November 3, 2017, 1700 PST.
- General Registration: November 9, 2017, 0900 PST. Registration for the 2018 sold out in 22 minutes.
- Dedication Sign Deadline: February 14, 2018
- Honoree Registration Deadline: February 14, 2018
- Swap/Drop Deadline: February 16, 2018
- Waitlist Closes: February 20, 2018
- SCBA Reservation Deadline: February 23, 2018 - all Team Captains will be emailed link to register
- Elite 25 Deadline: March 2, 2018
- Bottle Changer Registration Deadline: March 2, 2018 - all Team Captains will be emailed link to register
- Battalion Change Request Deadline: March 2, 2018
- EVENT DAY: Sunday, March 11, 2018
- Final Fundraising Deadline: March 30, 2018
- VIP Awards Ceremony: May 6, 2018 - Columbia Tower Club, Seattle, WA
Battalion (Start Time) Assignments:
2018 Start Times: By time, by department/team name, by participant last name
- The link to assigned times will become available post-assignment at the end of February 2018.
- The first few battalions are assigned based on previous year's top racers, previous year's top fundraisers, and placement of the Survivor Battalion.
- Please email battalion time change requests to email@example.com. We will do our best to accomodate requests based on necessity & availability. There is no guarantee your time will be changed. We recommend asking a fellow department member to switch spots with you if you are unable to make your assigned time. All participants must submit their requests by the deadline of March 2, 2018 to be considered.
- New in 2018: There will be no battalion change desk at the event.
Bottle Changer Registration:
- 2018 Deadline: 3.2.2018
- Bottle Changers MUST be registered prior to the event and bring a photo ID with them.
- All team captains will be emailed in February 2018 with a link to register their team's bottle changer(s).
- If you do not register a bottle changer by the deadline you will be required to use a fellow participant.
- Bottle changers can be registered participants (who volunteer when they are not climbing), other firefighters, or civilians who have a working knowledge of how to change a bottle. Firefighters preferred.
- Each team is limited to 1 bottle changer on the 40th floor at a time during the event. Teams with ten or more climbers may have a maxiumum of 2 bottle changers at at time.
- Bottle Changers must check-in at the building's loading dock, located off of Columbia St., next to the parking garage entrance.
- Each Bottle Changer will be given a wristband and a lanyard for clearance. Once your shift is up, you will be required to return your lanyard to the bottle change desk back in the loading dock.
- Once checked-in, bottle changers will be responsible for assisting in carrying their team's equipment via the freight elevators to the 40th floor Bottle Change area.
- All registered bottle changers will be given an event t-shirt that must be picked up by the team captain.
Borrowed Gear Reservation:
- 2018 Deadline: 2.23.2018
- Participants who are coming from our of town are allowed to borrow a bottle and SCBA on event day from Scott Safety who will be on site.
- All registered Team Captains will be emailed in February with a link to reserve bottles & SCBA.
- NOTE: We do NOT have enough gear for everyone to borrow. Please only reserve loaner gear if absolutely needed.
- If you are no longer able to participate in the event please let staff know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will deactivate your account and you will not be held to the $300/person fundraising minimum if you drop out by the swap/drop deadline of Friday February 16, 2018.
- If you are dropping out and have a fellow department member who wishes to take your place, please contact staff to receive a swap form for the person swapping in to fill out. Each person swapping in will be required to pay a $25 swap fee, and the original participant will not be refunded their initial registration fee.
- There is a limit of 5 swaps per team, and swaps can only occur with fellow department members. For example, a Seattle Fire Department member cannot swap out for a member of different department. This open space will instead be given to someone from the Waitlist.
- If you drop out of the event after the deadline of Friday February 16, 2018, you will still be required to meet the fundraising minimum of $300/person by the final fundraising deadline of March 30, 2018. If you do not meet this minimum by the deadline, you will not be allowed to climb in the event next year.
- No pets, alcohol, firearms, or weapons allowed at the event.
- There is no practicing allowed in the building stairwells prior to the event.
- No family or friends are allowed in the building on event day. Due to extremely limited space capacity, to ensure the safety of our first responders, and at the request of Columbia Center security & management, only registered participants, registered bottle changers, registered volunteers, registered honorees, sponsors and vendors are allowed in the building.
- New in 2018: The Columbia Center is currently undergoing major construction in floors 1-3.
- Participants are allowed in the building for the duration of the entire event. It is typical that participants exit upon all team members finishing the climb. Remember: only 3 team members may climb in the same battalion start wave. This is to prevent a pile-up at Bottle Change on the 40th floor, and to allow for fair distribution of climb-times for all teams throughout the day.
- Participants may park for free in the Columbia Center parking garage (located off of Columbia St.) for the duration of the event.
- Participants may pick up their event t-shirt at the t-shirt table located on the first floor of the building.
- Lost & Found will be located at the Information table on the 1st floor of the building on event day. Any items found and not picked up at the event will be taken back to our office at 5601 6th Ave. South, Suite 182, Seattle, WA 98108 and will be held for 30 days. If you'd like to inquire about a lost item or arrange for pickup, please email email@example.com.
- Participants are welcome to use the Scott Firefighter Stairclimb event logo on their own marketing/fundraising materials. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a request. The logo may not be altered in format or distorted in size.
- Event posters, postcards, stickers, tattoos, boot & can wrappers are available as free fundraising materials.
- Don't forget to book your hotel early to secure a spot at a deeply discounted rate. We are pleased to partner with three host hotels: the Renaissance, the Seattle Marriot Waterfront, and the Courtyard Marriott at Pioneer Square. The Renaissance and Courtyard hotel are within a few blocks of the Columbia Center. Alll hotels will be donating a portion of each room booked back to LLS, so we appreciate you choosing one of our host hotels! Links will be available and provided via email to participants immediately following registration.
- If you are interested in photographing the Scott Firefighter Stairclimb, please contact email@example.com and provide a portfolio or examples of your work.
Official 2018 Start/Finish Photos through Evan Pilchik Photography can be Purchased below: